What Our Students Learn
- Transfer disabled patients or residents between the bed and chair
- Feed patients
- Record vital statistics or other health information
- Assist patients with daily activities and needs
- Employment opportunity in this field is 6 times higher than the national average of a job
- Entry level salaries start at $27,000 and up
- Median salary is $35,000
- 10% of workers earn $41,000 or more
- Students spend 50% of their time learning concepts in a classroom, and 50% of their time with hands-on practical work
- Students gain experience in a simulated medical environment with industry grade equipment
- Enrollment options are available for both high school students and post-secondary students
- Off-site clinicals are built in to the curriculum
- Curriculum includes on-site simulation labs for practical application of concepts
- 8 weeks of classes
Accredited Certificate Courses (5 credits)
All credits earned at Pickens technical college are recognized by the Colorado Community College System (CCCS), and are eligible for transfer to other colleges within the state of Colorado.
Prepares the student to perform the fundamental skills of the nurse aide. Basic nursing skills, communication skills, restorative services, personal care skills, safety and emergency care issues are covered. Includes knowledge and/or principles of asepsis, OSHA and HIPAA regulations. Ethical behaviors, cultural sensitivity and principles of mental health will be addressed, as well as patient/resident rights.
Applies knowledge and skill gained in NUA 101 to patient care.