What Our Students Learn
- Perform a number of different welding techniques, including: oxyacetylene, shielded metal arc, gas metal arc, gas tungsten arc, and flux cord arc welding
- Read blueprints for metal fabrication and welding
- Measure dimensions of completed products or work pieces to verify conformance to specifications
- Select production equipment according to product specifications
- Adjust equipment controls to safely and effectively fabricate and weld
- Understand and utilize American Welding Society S.E.N.S.E school concepts and standards
- Employment opportunity in this field is 4 times higher than the national average of a job
- Entry level salaries start at $34,000 and up
- Median salary is $48,000
- 10% of workers earn $70,000 or more
- Students spend 50% of their time learning concepts in a classroom, and 50% of their time in the shop with hands-on practical work
- Students gain experience in a simulated shop environment with industry grade equipment
- Students gain their AWS certification as part of the curriculum
- Enrollment options are available for both high school students and post-secondary students
- 1 year of classes
From 1986-90, Jeff served in United States Navy within the Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Division, where he earned his Weldshop D17.1 Aerospace Certification. 1990-1999 Jeff worked at Steward & Stevenson Fabrication Weld Shop and became certified to the D1.1 structural code. From 1999 to 2017 Jeff worked for Colorado Mechanical Welding as a pipe welder and fitter. During this time he also became certified in B31.3 and ASME section 9 hydronic and gas. Jeff also spent 2 years working as a certified welding inspector for the American Welding Society. In 2014 Jeff received the AWS Section 20 Educator of the Year award.
Certifications & Degrees:
- Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
- Certified Welding Educator (CWS)
- NDT Level II (current)
Accredited Certificate Courses (35 credits)
All credits earned at Pickens technical college are recognized by the Colorado Community College System (CCCS), and are eligible for transfer to other colleges within the state of Colorado.
Covers the hazards of welding on health and safety, locating essential safety information from a code or other standard, and identifying and applying shop safety procedures.
Covers setting up equipment and performing cutting and gouging operations utilizing the oxyacetylene, air carbon arc, exothermic, and plasma arc cutting processes. This course will also provide an introduction to blueprint reading.
Covers interpreting weld symbols on blueprints, identifying proper layout methods and tools, and proper joint design necessary for various welding processes.
Covers theory and practice in oxy-acetylene processes with an emphasis toward AWS welder qualification with mild steel electrode E-7018 welding in horizontal and vertical position.
Continues WEL 1021 with final emphasis toward AWS welder qualification with mild steel electrode E-7018 qualification test in the 2G, 3GU, and 4G position.
Covers welding in all positions and on various joint configurations using the GTAW (tig) welding process on carbon steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Student should be familiar with basic metallurgy pertaining to the weldability of metals, structural joints, and safety in the welding industry.
Covers safety inspections, minor repairs, operating parameters, operation of GMAW equipment on plain carbon steel utilizing short circuit and spray transfer, and fundamental metallurgy principles.
Covers safety inspections, minor repairs, operating parameters, operation of FCAW equipment utilizing self-shielded wire, and principles of joint design, preparation, and material selection to welding operations.
Covers safety inspections, minor repairs, operating parameters, operating FCAW equipment utilizing gas shielded wire, and applying fundamentals of welding applications and cost estimating to welding, fabrication, and inspection.
Develops welding and associated skills in the use of drawings and blueprints in planning. Includes designing and layout projects.